South Carolina Railroads - Greenville & Western Railroad

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

G&W RR

1914

1914

1920*

Greenville, SC

River Falls, SC
* 1920 - Renamed to the Greenville & Northern Railroad.
Was the Greenville & Knoxville Railroad.

The Carolina, Knoxville & Western Railroad was built in South Carolina from Greenville to Marietta in 1888. The railroad was originally chartered to build a line from Augusta, GA, to Knoxville, TN. The line was extended to River Falls for a total of 23 miles, and then was abandoned in 1899 (one of the earlier abandonments on record).

The Greenville & Knoxville Railroad was formed to revive the line in 1907 and ran it until 1914. The company was again reorganized as the Greenville & Western in 1914, and was then renamed the Greenville & Northern in 1920. The line was cut back to Travelers Rest in the mid-1950s, but the section between Travelers Rest and Cleveland was not officially abandoned until 1970.

Towns on Route:

Greenville

Sans Souci

Travelers Rest

Batson

Marietta

Cleveland

River Falls



© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved