South Carolina Railroads - Greenwood, Anderson & Western Railway

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

GAWR

1895

1895

1898*

Seivern, SC

Allendale, SC
+ 1899 - Acquired by Southern Railway.
+ 1898 - Perry to Seivern line acquired by the Seivern & Knoxville Railroad
* 1898 - Re-organized one line back to the Carolina Midland Railroad.
+ 1897 - In receivership.
Was the Carolina Midland Railroad.

The Carolina Midland Railway joined its acquisitions end-to-end in Blackville to form one north-south line that crossed the east-west Charleston-Hamburg line of the South Carolina and Georgia Railroad at a diamond just west of downtown. A two-sided Union Station was built in Blackville facing the diamond, so that its platforms could serve both railroads. Some significant payloads of cotton and cottonseed oil apparently originated in Barnwell in the early 20th century, where cotton platforms and at least one cottonseed oil works used the line.

In 1899, CMR began a branch line from the Columbia-Augusta line in Cayce, across Lexington County and the North Fork Edisto River into Aiken County, to join the existing line at Perry just east of Wagener. A number of whistle stops in central and western Lexington County and eastern Aiken County were created along this branch line. A company officer's daughter gave them names derived from mythology, such as Thor.

This second line was completed right after Southern Railway acquired the Carolina Midland Railway in 1899.

Towns on Route:

Allendale

Sieglingville > Seiglinville (1907)

Thomas

Kline

Morris

Barnwell

Capers

Blackville

Monie

Whaley

Aldrich

Springfield

Salley

Perry

Wagener

Seivern

2nd Line - Cayce to Perry (started & completed in 1899):

Cayce (1901)

Edmund (1900)

Pelion (1900)

Thor (1900)

Berlin

Perry



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved