South Carolina Railroads - Greenwood, Laurens & Spartanburg Railroad

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

GL&S RR

1880

1885

1886*

Greenwood, SC

Spartanburg, SC
* 1886 - Merged into the Port Royal & Western Carolina Railway along with five other railroads. Apparently acquired by them in March of 1884 before construction was completed to Spartanburg.

From a March 14, 1884 New York Times article:

COLUMBIA, S.C., March 13. -- At a meeting to-day of the Directors of the Greenwood, Laurens and Spartanburg Railroad, a proposal for the the purchase of the road was made by President Raoul, of the Central Railroad of Georgia, which was accepted. The terms of the sale are not known, but the early completion of the road to Spartanburg is now assured. This road connects with the Augusta and Knoxville Road at Greenwood, which is now operated by the Port Royal Road, and will open a new way to the ocean for a rich section of country.

Towns on Route:

Greenwood

Quarry (1888)

Coronaca

Waterloo

High Point (1885) > Highpoint (1889) > Coldpoint (1903)

Madden (1886)

Laurensville > Laurens (1893)

Scuffletown > Bryson (1896)

Ora (1885)

Lanford Station (1886) > Lanford (1951)

Mountain Shoals > Enoree (1886)

Hillsville (1891)

Sancho (1900)

Woodruffs > Woodruff (1892)

Drummondsville > Switzer (1886)

Barrys > Moore (1886)

Becca (1886) > Roebuck (1896)

Arkwright (1898)

Spartanburg C.H. > Spartanburg (1887)



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved