South Carolina Railroads - Hampton & Branchville Railroad

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

H&B RR

1889

1895

Still Operational

Hampton, SC

H&B Junction on W&W RR
+ 1988 - Acquired the Colleton County Railroad, extending its operations to Walterboro.
+ 1899 - Name changed to the North & South Short Line Railway by Legislative Act. Apparently, this was negated or changed back to the original name.
Per the 17th Annual Report of the South Carolina Railroad Commissioners, dated June 30, 1895, the Hampton & Branchville Railroad was operational in 1895, after their report was completed - see Page 122.

The Hampton & Branchville Railroad dates back to its founding in 1889. For many years it served the region’s timber industry. In 1986, the company purchased the CSX line serving the South Carolina Electric & Gas Co. electric generating plant at Canadys, SC and now delivers unit coal trains to that facility.

The H&B currently runs from the CSX line at Hampton to Canadys, SC, for a total of about forty (40) miles in Hampton and Colleton counties. Principal commodities carried include coal and Kraft paper. It owns eight (8) engines and transports over 850,000 tons annually.

Towns on Route:

Hampton

Crockettsville

Miley

Moselle

Ashton (1920)

Mauldington (was Mauldin Junction)

Padgetts

H&B Junction (near Lodge) (Walterborough & Western Railroad Line)

Caldwell

Canadys (1926)

Walterboro (bought additional track from Colleton County Railroad in 1988)



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved