South Carolina Railroads - Orangeburg Railway

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

OR

1911

1912

1920

Orangeburg, SC

North, SC

The Orangeburg Railroad was a seventeen (17) mile long short line that ran between the communities of Orangeburg and North within South Carolina from 1912 until 1920.

This railroad was built by Mr. William C. Wolfe of Orangeburg, SC between 1911 and 1913. It was operational in July of that year and provided the city of Orangeburg with a trunk line that connected to the Seaboard Air Line Railway at the community of North, SC. It paralleled the North Fork of the Edisto River.

Due to financial difficulties, the railroad went into bankruptcy and the receivers rebuilt it to appropriate standards in 1917. By 1920, it had failed once again and was approved that year by the Interstate Commerce Commission to be abandoned.

The original charter of January 20, 1911 indicated that this railroad was planned to be from Orangeburg to Springfield to link up with Southern Railway. However, the company quickly decided to change the terminus to the town of North, where the line would link up with the Seaboard Air Line Railway.

According to the 34th Annual Report of the South Carolina Railroad Commission for the year ending December 31, 1912, the Orangeburg Railway was opened between Orangeburg and North with ten (10) miles of track operational.

The Electric Traction Weekly magazine of March 19, 1910 reported: "The Orangeburg Railway has been commissioned by the secretary of state to build an electric line from Orangeburg, through the townships of Livingston, Elizabeth City, Rock Grove, Goodland, Liberty, Hebron, Zion and Williams, to the city of Springfield, 30 miles. Capital, minimum $50,000, maximum $300,000. The petitioners are W. C. Wolfe, J. A. Berry and Lawrence Manning."
The Electric Railway Journal of February 4, 1911 reported: "Orangeburg Railway, Springfield, SC — Chartered in South Carolina to build a 30-mile steam or electric railway from Orangeburg to Springfield. Capital stock, $50,000. Officers: W. C. Wolfe, Orangeburg, president; J. A. Berry, Orangeburg, secretary, and Lawrence Manning, Sumter, director."

Click Here for some interesting newspaper articles online regarding this railroad's startup.

Click Here for some interesting newspaper articles online regarding this railroad's demise in the 1920s.

Thanks go out to Joe Bartolini for pulling that stuff together for folks to have available.

Towns on Route:

Orangeburg

Robinson (1910s)

Raymond

Wolfton (1914)

North



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved