South Carolina Railroads - Port Royal Railroad #2

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

PR RR

1985

1985

2006*

Port Royal, SC

Yemassee, SC
* 2006 - Acquired by the Beaufort Railroad.

1985, saved from Seaboard Coast Line Railroad abandonment by the SC State Ports Authority for local interests, it was re-opened and managed by the SC Public Railways Commission until 2006 when it was purchased by a private owner.

The line was operated by Tangent Transportation, itself a wholly owned subsidiary of the SC Public Railways Commission. Operation began in 1985 with a new diesel painted "Port Royal Railroad' leased from Republic Locomotive Works in Greenville. However, business was minimal with a car or two to the Marine Air Station, to a building supply firm, or to the docks at Port Royal. A second diesel was acquired in 1987.

Tangent operated the line on an “as required” basis until November 30, 2003 when operations were ended. The right of way was maintained after that date by SC State Ports Authority.

Towns on Route:

Yemassee

Tomotley

Fairview

Coosaw

Roselda

Port Royal

Beaufort



© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved