South Carolina Railroads - Wilmington, Chadbourn & Conway Railroad

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

WC&C RR

1885

1887

1895*

Wilmington, NC

Conway, SC
+ 1897 - Merged into Atlantic Coast Line Railroad of South Carolina.
+ 1896 - Acquired by the Wilmington, Columbia & Augusta Railroad.
* 1895 - Re-organized as the Wilmington & Conway Railroad.

In 1887, the enterprising Chadbourn Lumber Company of North Carolina built a railroad from the Wilmington, Columbia, & Augusta Railroad south to the Waccamaw River to open up the forests of northern Horry County in South Carolina for the timber industry.

The Wilmington, Chadbourn & Conway Railroad extended the company’s rails from Mt. Tabor, NC, to Conway, SC and ran the first train into Conway on December 15, 1887. This company differed from most in that it paid its employees in silver dollars, which it hauled in kegs along the route to pay the construction workers. The silver was accompanied by armed guards, but there is no record of any attempt to hijack the payroll.

This road was acquired by the Wilmington, Columbia & Augusta Railroad in 1896.

This railroad was first chartered in 1883 as the Wilmington, Chadbourn & Conwayborough Railroad in North Carolina. Little was done under this original name.

Towns on Route (in SC):

SC/NC State Line

Howard (1891)

Loris (1886)

Sanford (1888) > Allsbrook (1915)

Bayboro (1888)

Gurley (1888)

Privetts (1888)

Adrian (1889)

Cebu (1902)

Allen (1907)

Harrold (1892)

Homewood (1899)

Conway



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved