South Carolina Railroads - Street Railways - Moultrieville

The following one (1) known "Street Railway" was operational in the town of Moultrieville from 1875 to 1924, when the line ceased operations.

Click Here to view/download a three-page writeup from the Street Railway Journal of 1894 on the street railways of Charleston and Sullivan's Island.

Middle Street Sullivan's Island Railway

Year Chartered

Year Operational

Year Ended

Length of Line

1875

1875

1913 (sold) / 1924 (ended)

2.5 miles

The Middle Street Sullivan's Island Railway was chartered on March 9, 1875 by the South Carolina Legislature. Bernard O'Neil, William Knobloch, L. Sherfessee, Bernard Boyd, W. F. Gleason, Edward Burke, M. P. O'Connor, A. Melchers, A. St. Amand, H. E. Hayne, C. O. Witte, James Cosgrove, A. J. Ransier, William Moran, John Boyd, A. S. Johnston, William J. Gayer, Oscar Aichel, F. W. Wagener, John H. Devereaux, J. B. Patrick, F. L. Cardozo, W. R. Jervay, James Cantwell. J. L. Tobias, P. Brady, B. Callahan, R. S. Cathcart, George S. Pelzer, P. Tecklenburg, W. Y. Leitch, Ed. Daly, J. H. Murray, and J. B. Howard were named as incorporators. The company was authorized $25,000 in capital stock, and it was chartered for twenty-one (21) years.

In 1883, the charter was amended to authorize the company to construct a branch line to Simon's Street. In 1891, the charter was amended to authorize the company to extend the line to the end of the island. In 1894, the charter was amended to authorize the company to construct additional branch lines.

The Street Railway Journal of November 1885 identified this street railway as the Middle Street & Sullivan's Landing Railway, but they offer no other information in this edition of their journal.

By 1885, the Middle Street Sullivan's Island Railway operated two and a half (2-1/2) miles of track, seven (7) horsecars, and a stable of fourteen (14) horses.

The Street Railway Journal of 1892 reported that the Middle Street Sullivan Island Railway had 2-1/2 miles of track operational, with seven (7) cars and fourteen (14) mules. Officers included President B. Callaghan, Secretary & Treasurer Frank F. Whilden, and Superintendent B. Buckley.

The Street Railway Journal of 1894 reported that the Middle Street Sullivan Island Railway had 2-1/2 miles of track operational, with seven (7) cars and fourteen (14) mules. Same officers as 1892.

In 1894, the charter was renewed for thirty (30) years. This renewal also permitted the company to construct and operate a line from Fort Moultrie eastward through Central Avenue to the eastern end of Sullivan's Island.

The American Street Railway Investments magazines of 1897 and 1898 reported that the Middle Street Sullivan Island Railway had 2.25 miles of track, 14 horses, 7 horse cars made by Brille & Stephenson. Officers included - President & Purchasing Agent B. Callaghan, Secretary & Treasurer Frank F. Whilden, and General Manager & Superintendent B. Buckley. Capital Stock $15,000. Funded debt none. Offices at 4 Broad Street, Charleston, SC.

As the Charleston & Seashore Railroad began to lay out its new route through Mount Pleasant in 1898, it purchased the Middle Street Sullivan's Island Railway.

The American Street Railways Investments magazine of 1900 reported on pages 52-53: "Charleston Consolidated Railway, Gas & Electric Company - This company is a consolidation, Feb. 1899, of the Charleston City Ry. Co. and the Charleston & Seashore R. R. Co., and controls the entire street railway system of Charleston. Mt. Pleasant, Sullivan's Island and the Isle of Palms, and is also the owner of the Charleston Gas Light Co., the Charleston-Edison Light & Power Co., the Mt. Pleasant St Sullivan's Island Ferry Co. and the Middle Street, Sullivan's Island R. R. Co."

On February 15, 1913, this line was sold to the Charleston-Isle of Palms Railway, which operated the line until 1924. Unclear if the line retained its original name all this time or not. Probably not.



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved