North Carolina Education - Davidson County

Year County Established

County Webpage Herein

County Seat Webpage Herein

1822

Davidson County

Lexington

The first wave of Moravians moved into Piedmont of North Carolina in 1753, a year after land was purchased in the area they called Wachovia. The first immigrants were men from Pennsylvania who established a village and prepared for future settlers, including women and children who arrived in 1754. Far from the only immigrants to the region, the Moravians from Pennsylvania developed close relationships with other recent immigrants, including Adam Spach, who moved to the area just outside of Wachovia in 1754. Spach and the Moravian community worked together in times of trouble, particularly when local Native Americans attacked their settlements.

Spach invited the Moravians to worship in his home and in 1758 a minister preached to a gathering of eight families there. That first service established what grew to be known as the Friedberg Congregation. The congregation had no permanent minister and services were held at sporadic intervals in its early years. The Spach family and their neighbors held services in their homes until 1769 when the first Friedberg meeting house was consecrated. A few years later the Friedberg Congregation was formally established by the Moravian Church and permanent ministers began to serve the congregation. As the community continued to grow with more immigrants arriving from Pennsylvania, Spach and his neighbors worked to establish a school house in the area, purchasing land for the school in 1773. The education received by the children reflected the church’s strong religious foundation and included rote learning of Bible passages in addition to mathematics for older students.

The meeting house at Friedberg has been through several changes. The next building consecrated for worship was completed in 1788 and a third was added in 1827. The structure competed in 1827 was used by the congregation into the twentieth century when it was removed for a newer, larger sanctuary that was dedicated in 1980. When first constructed, the Friedberg Church and School were in Rowan County, North Carolina. Today, Friedberg is in Davidson County, North Carolina - very close to the Forsyth County line.

The above write-up (with edits and additions) was provided by the North Carolina Highway Marker program. Click Here to read and view their sources.

On December 31, 1823, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the already-existing Sandy Creek Library Society in Davidson County. Three (3) members were named in the Act.
On January 4, 1826, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Abbott's Creek Library Society in Davidson County.
Also on January 4, 1826, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish Lexington Academy in the town of Lexington in Davidson County. Five (5) trustees were named in the Act.
On January 13, 1834, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish Clemmonsville Academy in the town of Clemmonsville in Davidson County. Five (5) trustees were named in the Act.
On February 3, 1855, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Yadkin Institute in western Davidson County, and the village of Yadkin Institute sprang up around the institute in 1856. The town of Yadkin Institute was renamed to Yadkin College in 1866. Nine (9) trustees were named in the original Act.

Yadkin College opened in October of 1856 as Yadkin Institute, a high school for young men, having been chartered by the North Carolina General Assembly the previous year. Henry Walser, the individual most responsible for Yadkin College’s success, donated the land for the institute and bore the expense of constructing the first classroom facilities and dormitory. One of three institutes of higher education sponsored by the Methodist Church in North Carolina, the school was rechartered as Yadkin College by the State legislature in February of 1861.

Shortly afterwards, the college closed as nearly all of its pupils enlisted in Confederate service with the opening shots of the American Civil War. When classes resumed in 1867, the school operated as a high school once more, returning to collegiate courses in 1873 under the tutelage of president Shadrach Simpson. Five years later, the first female students were allowed to attend classes. In 1883, the North Carolina legislature changed the name to Yadkin Collegiate Institute. In 1924, the institute, suffering from low attendance as a result of the establishment of public schools in the state, consolidated with what is now High Point University, and the campus was abandoned.

Yadkin College was built in the western part of Davidson County, fairly near the border with Davie County, about one mile north of what is now U.S. Highway 64.

The above write-up (with edits) was provided by the North Carolina Highway Marker program. Click Here to read and to view their sources.

On February 10, 1855, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Glen Anna Female Seminary in Davidson County. Five (5) stockholders were named in the Act, and the school was authorized assets up to $25,000. In 1856, John W. Thomas bought the school and soon thereafter it was relocated and renamed to the Thomasville Female College (in 1867), and it fluorished until 1888 when it was moved to High Point, where the school closed in 1892.
On February 22, 1861, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Yadkin College, formerly the Yadkin Institute, at the village of Yadkin Institute in western Davidson County. Eleven (11) trustees were named in the Act, and the school was authorized assets up to $200,000.
On January 28, 1863, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Beataville Female Seminary in Davidson County. Three (3) trustees were named in the Act, and the school was authorized assets up to $5,000.
On February 7, 1865, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to expand the charter of Yadkin College to include a "military department" at the school in western Davidson County.
On January 24, 1872, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Davidson High Shool near Teaguetown (near Abbotts Creek) in Davidson County. Eight (8) trustees were named in the Act, and the school was chartered for 99 years.
On February 11, 1874, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to authorize the Board of Education of Davidson County to establish a teachers' institute or a normal school to instruct public school teachers. This Act was repealed December 4, 1874; see below.
On December 4, 1874, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to repeal the February 11, 1874 Act (above). No reason given.
On February 25, 1881, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Shiloh Academy in Davidson County. Nine (9) trustees were named in the Act.
On February 28, 1885, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the North Carolina Baptist Orphanage in or near the town of Thomasville in Davidson County. Six (6) trustees were named in the Act, and the orphanage was authorized assets up to $100,000. Renamed to Thomasville Baptist Orphanage on March 11, 1889; see below.
On March 2, 1887, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Lexington Female Seminary in the town of Lexington in Davidson County. Thirty-six (36) corporators were named in the Act. This Act was amended on January 30, 1889; see below.
On January 30, 1889, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to amend the charter of the Lexington Female Seminary (above) to change the name to Lexington Seminary and to allow males to attend.
On March 11, 1889, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to amend the charter of the North Carolina Baptist Orphanage (above) and to change its name to the Thomasville Baptist Orphanage. Eighteen (18) new trustees were named in the Act, and the orphanage was authorized assets up to $200,000 - an increase from $100,000.
On March 6, 1893, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to authorize qualified voters in the town of Lexington to decide whether to levy a special tax to fund graded schools in the town of Lexington in Davidson County.,
On March 8, 1897, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish a special school district at the county lines of Guilford, Forsyth, and Davidson counties, named the Davis School District. Three (3) school committeemen named in the Act.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


© 2017 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved